About Sally Arnold
As an educator for over 30 years, Sally Arnold has taught in a wide variety of environments: children in the classroom, professional colleagues, and adults in the broader community. She has been a mentor and presenter of professional development workshops, as well as a leader in Soquel school district and her community. In 2013 she was chosen for a two year fellowship by the Cotsen Foundation for the Art of Teaching.
As the GATE mentor for the Soquel School District, Sally Arnold developed and taught a series of workshops on differentiated instruction. She also led workshops on guided reading, math instruction, classroom management skills, discipline, parent relations, and the use of volunteers.
Chosen to help guide changes in policies and programs at both the district and site level, she has been instrumental in:
- creating successful intervention programs in the areas of reading, ELD, and mathematics
- developing a new standards based report card that drove instructional changes throughout the district
- selecting new measures of student achievement to meet the demands of Common Core Standards
Sally Arnold facilitated a school-wide decision making process at Santa Cruz Gardens School that created a successful Response to Intervention program. She wrote, and for ten years administered, a grant from United Way, resulting in over $100,000 of support for the students in the English Language Learning program.
Sally served both as a leader in the teachers’ union and as a substitute principal, occasionally at the same time! From these differing perspectives she crafted solutions which satisfied the disparate needs of teachers, administrators, and parents.
In the wider community, Sally Arnold has collaborated with community leaders to produce regional conferences on values-based philanthropy for the Community Foundation of Santa Cruz County, featuring nationally recognized leaders in the field.See the services I offer
Sally’s work at our school with the faculty, students, and parents has helped our school beyond measure. She is a trusted mentor who understands the complexities of the classroom and has practical solutions that teachers can use right away.
Jen Field, 3rd grade Teacher
Ms. Arnold is an educational leader and teacher of the highest order. The commitment, energy,
and judgment that she brings to her varied roles as an educator are unsurpassed.
Carl Pearson, Partner, Applied Education Solutions and retired principal
Soquel Union Elementary School District, Santa Cruz, CA
- Santa Cruz County Teacher of the Year Nominee 2015-16
- English Language Development (ELD)
- Intervention Teacher Reading
- Title One Math Specialist
- Elementary Classroom Teacher
- Middle School core, drama, physical education
Irish Refugee Council, Dublin, Ireland
- ELD Teacher for adult asylum seekers from around the world
Santa Clara County Office of Education
- Environmental Educator
National Park Service
- Interpretive Ranger, Petrified Forest National Park, AZ
Certificates & Education
- BS Environmental Studies with honors, University of California at Santa Cruz
- Multiple Subject Teaching Clear Credential, UCSC
- Cross-cultural Language and Academic Development Certificate
- Cotsen Foundation Fellowship, focus on literacy
- Reading Workshop Summer Institute, Teachers College Columbia University
- Differentiated Instruction, Summer Conference
- Facing History and Ourselves, Advanced Summer Institute
- Astronomical Society of the Pacific’s Project Astro Science Education, Summer Institute